Wednesday 13 March 2013

Calum's Road, Raasay

Today, as it is my birthday, the sun shone and to brighten it up even more there was snow. So this is what Skye looked like and, as you can see, I am taking the photo from the sea.


We were on the ferry to Raasay and heading for the north end, Calum's Road to be precise. I've wanted to go there since seeing the play about him and finally I did. And I walked on the road he built. So this was a special one for my birthday. It was quite a drive up to Calum's Road along a pitted and potholed snow covered road. Calum's was far better. We met a snow plough on the county road which made we wonder how bad it would be. But we got there. Calum's Road starts here at Brochel Castle which looked fantastic.


And here it is with his wheelbarrow. He used this, a pick and a shovel to build almost all of it with the county tarring it at the end.
 

We drove to the other end of the road as I thought it would be too far for me to go there and back. It is a bit up and down in places.
 
 
We parked at the end of the road at Arnish and walked on to Torran.
 


 
 We had to keep stopping to just look.
 

And when we finally stopped at the far end of this house we found......
 
 
 ..... a fossilised dinosaur egg. I'm sure that's what it is.
 

When we got back to the car I walked back along Calum's Road until Pete picked me up about half a mile later.
 
  So I've walked on Calum's Road at last.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment