Saturday 9 February 2013

Ballachulish, St John's Church to the harbour

We went west today as the divers wanted to dive along from the Slates. This area is full of history and interest and I've explored some of it over the last couple of years. But so much more to see and do. There was low cloud and mist with craggy, snow covered peaks peeking through in Gelncoe as we drove through. A great start as it looks so exciting. We parked on the beach and while they got on with the diving I went for my walk.

Here is the start showing the view along Loch Leven
 
 
 at the harbour there are old huts made from slate. At the dive site called the Slates there are similar huts. They were made by the workers in the quarry who used to fish as well to supplement their diet and probably their income.
 

It was a very still day today as you can see from the boats.
 

The Ballachulish Bridge from the harbour
 

This a picture of Eilean Munde. This is also known as the Island of Chiefs as the chieftians of at least 3 clans are buried there. 
 

In this close up of the island you can see many of the gravestones. When we visited it last year it was in August and the undergrowth was overgrowth such that we could hardly see many of the gravestones. We vowed to go back in winter when it had died back and it looks like it is time.


Last time we went out in the inflatable and it was a brilliant day. The photo I took then shows the boat moored with my son looking after it and the incredible view of the loch. I sent this one into the BBC and they printed it in the photos of the week.  My claim to fame.


I loved this walk today. We then drove around the loch looking for possible shore dives (yawn) and up to Kinlochleven. As my husband wanted to see the harbour there we went for a walk together. As this is highly unusual if not quite a first I'm putting a second walk on for today too. A spare in case I am ever unable to do one?

No comments:

Post a Comment